Sunday 3 March 2013

01 Numismatist’s Vision


The first drop

During our child hood period in 1950 ‘s , we used to be given an incentive of quarter Anna to half Anna by our father depending on our progress with the blessings and suggestion to keep them as reserve . This adherence of saving the coins in an earthen piggy bank with a slot for dropping coins , was the starting point for my storage of coins from 1950 onwards. 





My earnest desire of coin collections resulted in continuing the hobby with perseverance over the years, complemented by my visits abroad and also from the contributions from my daughters in USA ,my wife ,my relatives and friends.

Upon going through the Internet, I have realized the need for a comprehensive assembly of coins for not only educational reasons but also for visual impact. The basic knowledge that every one is expected to know is detailed in the Blog captioned under coinspride.blogspot.com for those who are interested in the study of coins.

My 60 years journey on coin collection from 1953 has been grouped and compiled for visual understanding of the efforts needed to catalogue , categorize and preserve the coins in an encapsulated form for a very long life. The visuals are depicted through the Blog coincollectorspride.blogspot.com for eager enthusiasts. This work is under compilation and I shall inform , when it is ready.

My professional experience in documenting with the aid of peripherals like Color Laser Printer, Laminating equipment and related software has helped channelize the development of the coin compilation.  To enhance viewer’s visual experience, I have chosen First grade acrylic sheets as templates that facilitate the viewer to be able to study both sides of the coins clearly. The acrylic sheets are transparent and respond well to Laser cutting and engraving


The coins displayed through the acrylic media have been designed incorporating the Map and the national flag of the country utilising the technique of laser cutting, laser engraving, color printing on metallised sheet, as the unique feature. The main peripherals are 2 numbers of Acrylic Stands for the display , 8 numbers storage trays for accommodating the 1600 + Coin ID Cards with headers (Each header displays the country map and flag of that country) , a study manual focusing on - Anatomy of Coins , Commemorative / Circulation Coins , Braille coins for the visually impaired , world mints and the minting  process , metals used in minting ,a note on cameo coins ,history of Euro coins , bibliography. The peripherals also include utility tools like Vernier Caliper, Magnifying glass, Miniature lighting fixture for illuminating the coins for inspection. 

I have included as a special feature “Fifty StateDistrict of Columbia and Territorial Quarter Folder – 1999 through 2009 - Whitman Coin Folder“recently published with Philadelphia Mint Collection. This series of commemorative coins are encapsulated in two acrylic display sheets for viewing. These have been gifted by my daughters from USA.

The details extracted through the Internet have been documented in the bibliography with the reference to the source web pages for the viewers to get further information, if need be. 

I am extremely thankful to my wife and daughters who have taken this subject very seriously and contributed to give a shape to this work


I am sure that this collection will enhance the interest of the Numismatists.

I shall accept with humility and sincerity, viewers’ feed back on this piece of work.

  
Bangalore   India 12.03.2013                          Rangarajan Ramaswamy

Mobile No:  09845514066

01 Numismatist’s Vision                          Coins Collection 60 years Journey





2 comments:

  1. wow pa. You have taken a lot of effort to put this blog together! I dont see the coins you sandwiched in plexi glass. Will keep looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Priya

    Well. I shall take little more time for the coin collection blogs , as I wish to add more features and organize good photos. I have indicated this in the Numismatist's vision. I wish to introduce slides and also youtube linkages for a good visual effect. Thanks . Rangarajan Bangalore 08.03.2013 11:45 am

    ReplyDelete